Nov 17, 2015

Butternut Squash Soup



When you think of fall soups, one quintessential soup that comes to mind is " butternut squash soup". It's delightfully creamy, comforting, and warm. It pairs nicely with a side salad such as; arugula pear goat cheese salad and slices of crispy, toasty sour dough bread. This is a traditional soup I have incorporated into my Thanksgiving menu, it's also a family staple on a cold fall evening! Its definitely a " whenever soup". In the summer it can even  be served chilled! 

Give it a go! 

Serves 4-6

Ingredients: 
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 7 cups cubed peeled butternut squash ( you can buy it pre-cut or the whole squash and peel and dice it)
- 1 cup chopped sweet vidalia onion
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth ( you can buy it or store your own chicken broth) 
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese 
- 2 cup of parmesan cheese ( save 1 cup for garnish)
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves ( adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 tsp of salt ( adjust to suit your taste)
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley for garnish  
- Chile flakes for garnish 

Directions: 
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium- high heat. 
- Add in the vidalia onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add in squash.
- Add in garlic and continue to sauté for about 10-12 minutes. 
- Add in chicken broth, cream cheese, and 1 cup of Parmesan cheese bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30mins. 
- After 30 minutes of simmering, add in half and half and salt and stir. 
- Place squash mixture into a blender and purée until creamy.
- Serve And garnish with fresh chopped parsley, chile flakes, and the remainder Parmesan cheese! 

*Blog post courtesy of Shovan at Shobella Chic. Head over to her blog for more recipes and inspiration!

24 comments:

This soup looks so amazing!! I can't wait to try it myself!

Yum that looks soo good! I must try this!

This looks right up my alley!! I'm a vegetarian.....I'm definitely going to be trying this soon!

That's my favorite!!!!!!! I can't wait to try to make that!

So delicious Shovan! A perfect "warm me up" meal for a cold winter's night! I'm printing this page as I'm typing, I'll be trying this wonderful recipe this weekend! <3

Aside from sounding absolutely delicious, it's a very beautiful soup!

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thank you so much Oscar! Your compliment left me floored!!! My goodness what a lovely thing to say!! :)

Jill, you're so sweet! Thank you so much!!

Lauren, I'm glad this sparked some hunger!!! Thanks sweetie!!

Oh Pru, you've been one heck of a cheerleader! I adore you, and your compliments are huge coming from you!! Thanks so much sweetie pie!

Keila, Let me know what you think!! It's one of my fave soups to make! Thanks so much Amiga!😘

Collette, I hope you me joy it!! I've been making this recipe for years! Truly a wonderful soup year around!! Thank you so much for this opportunity! :)

Sweet P's, thank you so much!! Hope you give it a go!!

Daraka, my goodness what huge compliments I am receiving! To see my recipe being praised is amazing!! I hope you enjoy it! Thank you guys for this opportunity! :)

This looks absolutely delicious and beautiful! Can't wait to try it! :)

This looks delicious and I can't wait to try it!

Shy, thanks so much for this compliment! I hope you enjoy!!:)

Annie, thank you very much!! I appreciate it!! :)

Looks absolutely amazing, can't wait to see what other amazing dished you have!!

Jessica, thank you so much for your words!!! I'm looking forward in sharing more!!

This looks yummy.... gonna give it a try!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...